If you own an Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) or a newer version and want to use it to talk, text, or use data without having your iPhone nearby, NumberSync can help. This AT&T feature allows you to use your iPhone’s wireless number on your watch. Here’s what you need to know to set it up:
- Make sure you have a compatible iPhone (6 series or newer, running iOS 11.0 or greater) with AT&T Wi-Fi Calling enabled, as well as AT&T wireless plans for both devices, and an AT&T user ID and password.
- If you don’t have a plan for your watch, contact me so I can add a plan. A watch plan is $10 a month for unlimited service.
- You can synchronize your watch with only one wireless number at a time. If you have already synchronized a watch with your phone, you will need to unsynchronize it before synchronizing another watch. Additionally, if you have started using your watch via Bluetooth, you will need to unsynchronize it.
- If you want to sync your Apple Watch to an iPhone on another person’s account, make sure you have the user ID and password for that account first.
Setting up NumberSync:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone and follow the prompts to start pairing.
- Select “Cellular” and then “Set up Cellular.” If you don’t have a plan for your watch, contact me so I can add a plan. Be sure to have the AT&T user ID and password for the iPhone number you’re using.
- Check the box and read the Important Information for NumberSync on the 911 screen.
- Select “Verify address.”
- Follow the prompts to complete your watch setup.
After activating NumberSync, you can use your iPhone’s wireless number on your watch. If you call 911 from your watch, emergency teams will use nearby Wi-Fi networks or the address you provide to locate you.
If you need to remove NumberSync, go to your account overview, open the “My wireless” section, scroll to “My devices,” and select “Manage my device.” From there, you can remove NumberSync from your Apple Watch.